Monday, March 29, 2010

food is my happiness

The weekend of food. I was lucky enough to try three new restaurants this past weekend, one was not so good, and two were absolutely delicious.

The last Thursday of every month an Indian restaurant, The Indian Palate, in Coral Gables, Florida has a bollywood night. Very very fun, but the food, the food not so good. I love Indian food, I think it’s a culture that really knows how to use flavor and spice. I had never tried a traditional Indian buffet and I must I will most likely not be trying one again. The night though and the experience as a whole was very different from the usual, and very fun. The bollywood theme makes for a great ambiance, there’s a DJ playing hits such as songs from slumdog millionaire, a big movie theatre size projection screen playing bollywood movies, a belly dancer, and a henna artist. The belly dancer was exquisite it was all very entertaining, everything was beautiful. I would like to give this restaurant maybe one more chance, but I will be ordering ala carte no buffet. If you are looking for a very good place to try Indian food for the first time, or for the 100th timego to Guru on Miami Beach.

It does get better, much much better, and that better is Sugarcane. One of the newest hotspots to open in the wynwood Miami area, same neighborhood as Joey's another one of my absolute favorites. But wow sugarcane, the food was amazing. I loved everything I tried, and I tried alot. The menu is mostly made of tapa size plates perfect for sharing and allowing the eater to taste more of what the restaurant has to offer. From palmia tequila cocktails, to the torrejas (french toast desert) I was blown away. Walking into sugarcane and reading the menu was as exciting to me as being 8 years waiting for Santa to come on Christmas morning. You must try it, and you must must get the goat cheese croquettes, and the bacon wrapped dates, my two favorite things that I ate.

I finished the weekend with an exquisite brunch at yet another new wynwood restaurant. Morgan’s, decorated to look at an adorable purple house you would think to see in key west. It is the perfect place for a Sunday brunch. All types of sangrias, red wine, white wine, and rose. Mimosas and bellinis by the pitcher do you really need another reason to try this place. Don’t be discouraged by the wait, I was a party of three and they told us it would be an hour but it was more around 20 minutes. This is not your average greenstreet brunch. This is crab so big it looks like jumbo lobster benedict, cheese plates with the best fig marmalade,  real maple syrup sides of bacon, and light as air french toast drenched with cinnamon sugar butter. Next Sunday go to Morgan’s you can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...